Robin Tutu Dress on GeekeryMade.com
Custom characters also available upon request!
Things I Really Want to Say at Craft Fairs
There have been quite a few times when vending that I’ve really had to bite my tongue due to customers’ behavior.
When someone responds angrily to your price:
- "You do realize these take a lot of time to make, right?
When someone argues about price by saying that the materials only cost X amount (and usually way under quote the material cost >_<)
- "I should give it to you at cost and completely ignore that I need to make a profit on my work, why?"
Tossing items back onto the display or table, or dropping them on the ground and just leaving them. Seriously, this irritates me so much, and it’s usually adults doing it. The kids are surprisingly try very very hard to put things back where they found them when at a handmade item booth.
- "Are you going to pay for that? No? Then please stop treating it like garbage so it’s not dirty when someone who is going to gets here."
- "You realize your kid has better manners than you."
- "Should I trash your place of work?"
The “I could make that” comments (this only actually bothers me when it is said condescendingly.
- "So what you’re saying is I should quit my job because you are also capable of doing it…"
The secretly (and somethings vary blatantly) trying to figure out how you made something right there in front of the maker. I’ve had people at my booth even start to take something apart right in front of me!
- "You can always actually buy one to take home and figure out how it was made…"